Is Facebook here forever? Now, before you answer, remember Xanga? It took me way too long to let go of Xanga and dabble in My Space. Does anybody remember how to get to his or her Xanga page? Then, I remember thinking My Space was the best that there would ever be. It’s amazing how quickly the world shifts sometimes.
So, now we’re in the age of Facebook. What a great tool to connect and reconnect friends from so many different places. It truly is a great way to catch up and see how everyone turned out, right?
There is a dark side.
As much as I enjoy making new connections. As addicting as pushing the Facebook app on the iPhone can be. There is a dark side. And it leaves me somewhat uncomfortable. Sooner or later it happens. You log in to see all the witty status updates and top news stories, and there it is in your notifications. Someone you really don’t care to reconnect with. And they want to be your friend.
Hasn’t happened to you? You say, “I’ll add anybody!” Fine. The dark side has other ways to find you. You are happily scrolling through the home page reading updates and looking at wall photos, etc. And there they are. Someone you hurt either intentionally or unintentionally. And you get to relive that as you stare at the screen, wondering if to them, you are the person they really wouldn’t care to reconnect with. The human tendency is to remember the past in a positive light. We all hope we have been remembered well, as a good memory. But, sometimes Facebook forces us to accept the fact that it wasn’t all happy.
I have friends/connections right now that I struggle with every time I see one of their posts. My usual reaction is, “I’m removing that connection!” And I probably should. There are certain standards and life experiences that I have adopted, and many that I have left behind. But, I would rather not sow that seed. I’m sure that I have been that person to someone else, and I would like to think that eventually they might come to realize that I’m not that person anymore. So, I would rather hold on to people as long as I can in the hope that I will see through the eyes of one who is forgiven and forgives.
While we’re on the subject, I want you to know that I am well aware that during periods of my life, you would be hard pressed to find anyone more selfish or self centered than I was. I know I was loud and outspoken, but it might have been a cover up for incredible insecurity, a mask for a young man who’s greatest fear was that he was as big of a social handicap as he suspected.
May I take a moment to say, “I’m sorry”? I know it doesn’t change anything. But it is sincere. I wouldn’t have room or time to personally name each of you, and that’s probably for the best! Some of you I have wanted to apologize to for years. Some of you, the dark side has just recently reminded me of that need. Whatever the case, I’m sorry.
And realize, I’m good with never hearing from you if you choose to take this opportunity to forgive. I just don’t want to be on the dark side of Facebook for you anymore…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment